Saturday, October 31, 2009

Storms

I wrote this piece in church on Wednesday night when I thought about the struggles and battles my Mom is having with ovarian cancer. This is dedicated to all those who have either been infected, affected or impacted by cancer. Mom you will make it! Peace be with you...

Storms

Silence
Listening to the sounds of the rain outside my window
Drip, splash, drip, splash
Splashing on the leaves as the water pours out of the sky
Voice becoming stronger with the wind picking up
Tree branches scratching my windows
On bending knees praying for the healing rejuvenation and restoration for Mama
Struck with cancer two months ago
Hurricane like winds whipping devastation to her physical being
Bleakness blinds my vision
Grim nightmares brewed with the thoughts of you possibly leaving me here on earth alone
Lights flickered
Storm becoming fierce outside
Similar to the one my Mama is enduring
Memories of walking hand in hand with you one year prior
Ignorant to the fact that we're not invincible
Although God's children
We're human acceptable to diseases, hurt, pain and anguish
Throat closing as my streaks of tears were accompanied by screams
Confessing with my mouth all the things I did
Not comprehending
Mom's diagnosis
She's my rock, the living angel in my life
Overnight I became Mama's wall holding her up
Who knew I'd be strong enough to bear so much on my spirit, soul and mental being
Blurred eyes, the wet pillow and sore throat signs that I mourned the death of the cancer
Believing faithfully that as the cancer dies Mom's body is being reconstructed
Optimism growing from the pain, believing that God kissed the cancer goodbye
Matter of time before she is healed
In your darkest moments is when God will begin to abundantly bless you
Stretched body across the floor
Praying for a total breakthrough
Rain falling
Slowly decreasing
Water tumbling off the leaves
Cancer cells dying
Disease stricken storm
Dying...leaving the body
Renewed, healed
Cured

May Peace Be With You,

Serena

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Serena, that was an awesome poem. I could feel your pain and your hope and ultimately, your mother's triumph. You're right, only a matter of time before she is completely healed - and we'll all praise God!

Loved it!

Serena W. said...

Hey Brooke, thank you for leaving a comment on the blog :) yes it is painful but my strength to this day comes from God and my Mom. Seeing her every weekend in the hospital fighting gives me so much hope. I've prayed and given it all to God.

You're such an inspiration B. My goal has been to post something every week on my blog. Writing has been my therapy for me and of course the love of family and friends make the difference.

Karen Minors said...

I loved your poem. Stay strong sistah, you keep your head up and keep those prayers going up for your mom. I am praying too. God heals all things. All praises be to the king of kings.

Serena W. said...

Hi Karen! God bless you sista and thank you for the prayers. Mom isn't giving up the battle and I sometimes slip but have to remember to give Him our battles. All of them and He will provide.

We're being tested, big time and prayer for restoration and healing in God's time.