Sunday, May 10, 2009

Abundant Love...Happy Mother's Day!

Hello everyone and Happy Mother's Day to the Mothers, Grandmothers, Aunts, Sisters, Godmothers and all women who impact or have impacted childrens lives!!!! It's because of the strong women such as yourselves that we are encouraged as a people to move forward and give back to the next generation.

This poem is dedicated to all those women and especially to my diamond, my love, my Iya, Marguerite "Sauti" Wills. The picture on the left is from 1984 when she brought home my sister Ayana from the hospital. She is so loving that she opened up her heart and home to adopt Ayana and my youngest sister Christina! I love you Ma!




Abundant Love

Her touch and embrace
As she wiped the tears from my face
Holding me tightly whispering, “It’s going to be okay”
Cleaning the dirt away from my scars
I remember those days
When Mama would make everything feel like brand new
Between cuts, scrapes, bruises on my skin from falling on my knees yet again
Mom has a tender touch as she told me to hold on tight
The sudden burn disappeared as Bactine was sprayed on my wound
In between sobs saying, thank you Mommy
Always wiping away the pain whether it was a scrape on my elbow
Or another love that didn’t go
In the direction that I thought it would be
Times when I couldn’t understand what was happening to me
Laughing now cause I was going through mere puberty
Causing her drama
But all mama could say was
Everything is going to be okay
Mothers have a way with words like no other
To this day I’m amazed of your strength and often wonder
How did we make it through
I love you
For being my warrior, knight in shining armor, pillars in my temple
Tending to my every sniffle, sneeze, fever, body ache and shiver
Raising all three on faith, hope, love
Reminding me that we were no one’s charity case
I still hold tight to the memories
How you struggled to raise us
Yet no matter what jokes were made by cruel kids my age
You would stroke my cheek and say
Better days are coming our way
Somehow you managed to pull another smile out of me
Mama, my Iya, Sauti my love
I can say on and on how much I love and adore you
Worship the ground you walk on and I feel
It still wouldn’t be enough
Relationship like no other
Blessed to call and have you as my mother
God had a master plan and although times were tough
You made it work for us
And this Mothers day
I salute you and every other mother
By simply stating, I love you

Happy Mother’s Day!

Copyright 2009 Serena Wills

All Rights are Reserved

2 comments:

NMoses said...

Soror,
I am not sure you remember me, but we were selling motivation apparel
at a booth adjacent to you at the Collin County Delta Vendor Fair.
First off, how are you? I hope this note reaches you in good health and spirit. I was telling my husband/ partner how impressed I was with your work. It was really inspiring to see someone else who loves poetry and who has taken it to another level. I wanted to cordially invite you to our official launch/fashion show of our entire collection of designs and clothing which will be held on June 28. It's on a Sunday and we would be very blessed to have you there. Please email me your email address so that I may forward you an evite. Our email address is info@motivationblvd.com.

I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Nikki Moses, Co-Owner
Motivation Boulevard

Serena W. said...

Soror Nikki how are you! Everyone loves the Success shirt and always asks me where did I buy it. What time is the event? I'll email you and thank you so much for following my blog as well and reaching out to me!!!! I love poetry and writing from the heart and I'm glad that I can reach out to people through it!